NURBS Surface Model
A Non-uniform rational basis spline (NURBS) is a mathematical model for representing curves and surfaces.
A NURBS surface is created by essentially wrapping a smooth surface around a Mesh .stl file.
– This method of modelling is the most accurate way to recreate a part for use in a CAD software.
– This model type is compatible with nearly all CAD software.
– It is typically the quickest and cheapest method for producing a CAD model.
– This model is constructed using the scan data which means any imperfections or inaccuracies in the original part will be carried through to the final model.
– The model will have no design tree or history, it will simply be an imported body.
– CAD software will not recognize part features such as faces, edges, fillets and draft, it is a patchwork of smoothed surfaces.
– A NURBS surface model is the best method for recreating organic shapes and forms which cannot be easily created in normal CAD packages.
– This model type is good for reference data, where no future alterations are to be made, for example developing packaging for the part.
– This model type is also good for inspection and comparison to other parts in CAD.
A NURBS surface can be delivered in all typical formats such as STEP, IGES, PARSOLID and several others